Coming to your Senses
Carla van Straten
The Masterchef crew were faced with the challenge to recreate South African traditional dishes, with the sense of taste, smell, touch and sight as their only guides. Getting in touch with one’s senses has never been as crucial as it is in the Masterchef kitchen.
Pressure switch on. The teams challenged themselves to recreate dishes such as Maraai’s Chicken Pie and Boland Waterblommetjie Bredie – two legendary favourites. It’s a pity that these were the two dishes that were judged as “less than perfect” in the end.
Kenwood offered a helping hand in the cooking challenge. Making puff pastry from scratch is a tricky business… Brandon, we admire your guts!
The secret lies in the technique. The Silver Prospero Mixer KM266 is the perfect compact machine that will give you confidence in your daily cooking and baking. The Prospero won’t let you down. You may expect perfect blending and whisking, with its advanced range of practical attachments and variable speed. The Prospero comes with; a splashguard, liquidiser, food processor, citrus juicer & centrifugal juicer. All included!
It’s a simple machine, with a world of functions that is reliable and easy to use. There is nothing like home-made pie, so be daring and create your own pastries from scratch with the Prospero Mixer.
Come to your senses, and invite Kenwood appliances into your kitchen, place it on the shelf labelled, “My Inspiration for Creative Cooking.” The Silver Prospero KM266 is the perfect powerful yet compact machine making every-day cooking a breeze.
Admit it! Maraai’s Chicken Pie from Die Volkskombuis restaurant made your mouth water! The recipe is a well-kept secret, but here follows an adequate quick and easy alternative that is sure to grant you absolute sensory satisfaction.
Home-Made Chicken Pot Pie
Recipe serves 6
Set oven to 180”
• 1 ½ cups potatoes, diced
• ½ cup salted butter
• 1 cup onion, chopped
• 1 cup celery, chopped
• 500g frozen mixed country vegetables, thawed
• ½ cup flower
• 400g (2 packs) of frozen puff pastry, thawed
• 2 cups chicken broth
• a pinch of salt and pepper
• 4 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1. Saute the potatoes in the butter
2. Add onion, celery and vegetables and sauté for 10min
3. Add the flour to the mixture, pouring gradually while stirring continuously
4. Stir chicken broth into the mixture
5. Stir mixture continuously over a medium heat until it thickens
6. Add salt and pepper
7. Prepare a large casserole oven dish with non-stick spray
8. Roll one packet of pastry out and fit into the bottom and sides of the dish
9. Pour chicken and vegetable mixture over the pastry
10. Roll remaining pastry out to fit the dish. Place on top of the filling.
11. Seal the edges and cut thin vents into pastry top
12. Bake for 40min, or until crust is golden brown
Cooking is an art; choose Kenwood as your stylish and reliable kitchen companion.